Libby is joined by President & CEO of Aerostar Consulting Corporation Tammera L. Holmes. In 2016, Holmes launched her non-profit The AeroStar Avion Institute to begin opening doors for youth in a career field that for most is still very foreign. Her focus is to get more youth, African Americans, females, and other underserved and under-represented populations interested in STEM careers, particularly in the Aerospace industry. Her goal is to promote access to jobs in Aviation and Aerospace. She is an upstanding role-model and leader within the United States and the Aviation community. Her AeroStar programs are literally giving “Wings to Dreams.
Libby and Tammera discuss:
- How Tammera got her start in the aviation industry
- The false sense of security that academia has created
- How AeroStar is helping the industry
- Why she is a huge advocate for serving children and under-represented populations
- How she maintains a sense of balance between being a leader in the aviation industry, a parent, a wife, and more
- Why you should be taking inventory on where you’re putting your time, talent, and treasure
Growing up in a crime-ridden west suburb of Chicago, Tammera understands the impact the current climate in Chicago has on young peoples’ ability to expect greatness beyond what they see. Tammera was named a National Afterschool Ambassador with the Afterschool Alliance based in Washington, D.C. She was inducted in the Illinois Aviation Hall of Fame receiving the “Spirit of Flight” award for her work. She’s also received The Bessie Coleman Aviation Award from the Chicago Defender Charities as well as congressional recognition as an outstanding community partner from Representative Danny Davis amongst several other accolades.
Connect with Tammera: